DJI Spark Drone Review 2019 – is the DJI Spark quadcopter worth the money? Review of features, pricing, flight duration, battery, camera and more.
- Intelligent Flight ModesSmart, reliable, and incredibly intuitiveQuickShotVideos with a Tap
- High-Performance CameraAmazing images and stabilized videoMechanical Gimbal StabilizationShake-Free Shots
- Flight PerformanceAwesome potential, immersive experiencesPowerful Propulsion Speed and Precision Control
- Flight SafetyWorry-free flight in the palm of your hand ; Propeller guards are recommended when using these functions.
- 2-Axis Stabilized Gimbal Camera. Voltage - 100-240 V
- DJI spark remote control Combo includes remote controller and standard spark accessory Kit (see details below)
- 2-Axis Stabilized Gimbal Camera 12MP Still Photos/ 1080P/30 Video gesture and Tap Fly control
- Flight autonomy with obstacle detection subject tracking from various angles GPS- & vision position-based navigation
- Top speed of 31 mph in sport mode up to 16 minutes flying time
- Up to 1. 2 mile control range control, edit, share with DJI go app
Drones have become a key piece of technology in our modern world. However, drones have been getting smaller by the year, and today portable drones are on high demand. DJI, a renowned drone-maker, recently launched the Spark, a pint-sized drone touting a plethora of automated features at an affordable price point. Here’s all you need to know about this compact nimble drone.
The Spark is the most compact drone in DJI’s line up of quadcopters. Thanks to its miniature frame, it fits perfectly in any backpack. However, don’t let its tiny size full you; DJI has done an excellent job of equipping this Twinkie-sized aircraft with all of its signature technologies. The Spark boasts a ton of intelligent flight modes such as Rocket, Circle, Dronie, TapFly, and Helix. The gesture control capability allows pilots to operate the drone in the absence of a controller or smartphone. A two-axis gimbal further backs its 1080p 12-megapixel shooter for stabilization. If you are looking for compact, fun and easy-to-fly drone with superb flying performance, the DJI Spark is the drone for you.
Key features and specs
• PalmControl/ Palm take off: an intuitive feature that lets you ditch the controller and instead command your DJI Spark with hand gestures.
• A 1080p 1/ 2.3″ CMOS censor with 12 Megapixels
• Built-in obstacle avoidance system to improve the flying experience and prevent crashes
• Automatic quick shot mode
• Panoramic and shallow focus mode
• Intelligent flight modes such as TapFly, Active Track
• Smartphone pairing capability via the DJI GO 4 App
• Built-in “No Fly zones” safety feature
• GPS and GLONASS navigation sensors
Listing of PROS and CONS
• The DJI spark has a lightweight ultra-compact form factor which makes it easy to handle
• Its 1080p HD camera captures high-quality images and stunning videos
• A host of intelligent flight modes including controller-free gesture controls
• Its obstacle avoidance makes handling easy for first-time pilots
• Its lightweight nature makes it easily swayed by strong winds
• The device has below average flight times partly due to its underwhelming battery life
• Accessories and extras are quite pricey
• Lacks 4K shooting capabilities
FAQs about the DJI Spark drone
What’s included in the standard shipping box? How about the fly more combo package?
For the MRSP of $499, you’ll be getting the DJI Spark quadcopter and a battery pack but no controller. The “Fly More “combo is another purchase option that includes the drone’s remote controller, extra charger, charging hub, propeller guards and some spare props for a total fee of $699.
Does the Spark require Wi-Fi to operate?
Yes, the spark needs a Wi-Fi connection to pair up with your phone if you have no controller. The DJI GO 4 app is a mobile-friendly application that lets you fly and monitor the drone’s movements in the absence of a controller.
Is the Spark a suitable drone for first-time users?
One of the biggest selling points of the Spark is its flawless flight performance. It’s easy to control and jam-packed with autonomous features that many first-time users will enjoy.
Does the spar have obstacle sensors?
Indeed, this drone does have obstacle evading sensors; however, these are only forward sensors meaning they won’t detect barriers to your sides and rear.
An in-depth look at the DJI Spark’s features
Design and build quality: measuring in at 143 x 143 x 55 mm and with a take-off weight of 300 grams, the Spark will easily fit in any backpack. If that’s not enough, the propellers can be folded to make the package smaller. Despite its small frame, the Spark still feels good on hand thanks to its top-notch body construction.
Quick launch and other controls:
Quick launch enables your drone to take off and hover in place within mere seconds of setup. Thanks to FaceAware, the DJI Spark can recognize your face before lifting off your palms. When turned on, the drone will link to your controller or smartphone via the DJI GO 4 app. PalmControl is one of the coolest tricks performed by the DJI Spark. Once in the air, you can use hand motions such as waving to get the drone to move up and away from you. Taking a selfie only requires simple hand gestures thanks to DJI’s deep learning gesture recognition technology.
Intelligent flight modes: The TapFly feature allows you to guide your aircraft by tapping on your phone’s screen. Sport mode brings with it powerful propulsion, a feature that considerably boosts the drone’s top speed to 50kph. Despite all its intelligent features, the spark is still able to achieve a flight time of up to 16 minutes on a full charge.
A powerful lens with gimbal stabilization: the spark’s camera boasts a 1 /2.3 inch CMOS sensor that’s capable of shooting videos at 1080p and stills at 12MP. The 2-axis mechanical gimbal stabilization technology is responsible for eliminating shaky effects thus keeping shots stable and more detailed.
DJI Spark compared to other drones
DJI Spark Vs. Yuneec Breeze
Measuring in at 196 X 196 X 65mm and clocking in at 385g, the Yuneec breeze is slightly larger and heavier than its Spark counterpart. Both units have a maximum operating range of 100m, though the spark extends it 2km when paired with its physical controller. While the Spark has a maximum video resolution of 1080p at 30fps, the Yuneec does one better by having 4K shooting capabilities.
DJI Spark vs. DJI Phantom SE
The Phantom SE is Spark’s bigger brother and measures in at 247 x 247 x 193mm. Its maximum flight range of 4km, a maximum 58km/h speed and maximum flight time of 25 minutes are superior to the Spark’s, 2km (with controller), 50km/h and 16 minutes flight time.
DJI Spark drone Vs. Parrot Anafi drone
Like the DJI Spark, the parrot Anafi packages itself as a compact, easy to fly drone suitable for both first time and professional handlers. Similar to the Spark, the Anafi comes outfitted with a host of flight modes such as auto-follow, waypoint flying, and orbit. However, the Anafi’s 4K enabled camera coupled with an average flight time of 23 minutes makes it a more capable drone than the Spark from DJI.
What are consumers saying about the drone?
Despite not rocking a 4K camera, many consumers are pleased with the quality of images and videos that the Spark captures especially in HDR mode. First-time fliers and those who’ve had minimal success flying other drones all praise the Spark for its easy to grasp control instructions. However, one of its purported downsides is its tendency to disconnect and lose signals every once in a while. Also, though its lightweight is a bonus, the Spark’s range and flight time can be significantly compromised when flown under strong winds.
The fact that DJI somehow managed to cram a ton of features and functionalities into such a small drone is nothing short of impressive. Its slick aerodynamic design and lightweight nature make the Spark soar seamlessly through the air. The DJI GO 4 app is fan favorite and brings with it a few tricks such as Rocket, Circle, Helix, and Dronie. All in all, I would gladly recommend the DJI Spark drone to any first-time or professional handler looking for a fun easy to handle device.