Yuneec Q500 Drone Review 2019 – is the Yuneec Q500 quadcopter worth the money? Review of features, pricing, flight duration, battery, camera and more.
- Personal Ground Station with built-in touchscreen, Integrated 3-axis precision gimbal camera
- 4K/30fps ultra high definition video, 1080p/120fps slow motion video
- User controlled video resolution, white balance and light exposure
- 12 megapixel photos with No-Distortion Lens
- Does not include Aluminum case, includes one battery
- This BEACH CAMERA EXCLUSIVE Bundle Features The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K...
- Featuring Improved CGO3 4K Ultra-HD 1080P 120FPS SLOW MOTION HD VIDEO...
- Combining A 12.4MP, 4K ULTRA-HD CAMERA with A 3-Axis Gimbal Android...
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Quadcopter Drone | Custom...
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: YUNEEC Q500 4K Typhoon Quadcopter | CGO3-GB...
Designed for both beginners and semi-pros, the Yuneec Q500 provides an awesome flying experience for everyone. The unit’s range and camera resolution combo are impressive. It provides 25-minute average flight time and 12-megapixel ultra-high definition 4K camera.
In addition to these features, the ST10 radio has a 5.8 GHz module that allows real-time video reception on a 5.5-inch touchscreen. According to the manufacturer, the video feed remains stable during flight. Despite its imposing dimensions, the radio control is surprisingly light, which allows fast, unobstructed piloting.
Design and handling
Yuneec chose two basic colors for this drone: black and white, which are good. The frame is well made despite the use of plastic and the unit is still robust. The Q500 is certainly one of the most successful drones in terms of ergonomics, aesthetics that are in tune with the times and a sporty aspect.
The frame is designed in the shape of an H, thus making this drone different from the X-shaped models that many people are used to seeing on the market. The design allows a more controlled landing. The hull conceals the 3.7 pounds of the beast: 0.4 pounds for the camera, 0.9 lb for the battery, and 0.04 lb per propeller as well as other components, such as the landing gear, which raises the drone 6.2 inches.
Video and photo performance
The Chinese manufacturer has made many improvements to the unit since the release of the first Q500 series. The latest improvement includes the CG03 model, a 0.4 lb camera that features a three-axis stabilization mechanism. Thanks to its pod and weight, the stabilization of the image is excellent even in the wind.
The camera films in 4K and 2.7K at 30 fps, and up to 120 fps in 1080p and 720p, which is sufficient to produce beautiful shots in slow-motion. The camera can be controlled from the ST10 radio remote control with a real-time reception of the video. The camera can be easily positioned horizontally, vertically or at any angle. It has an estimated range of about 984 feet.
On the downside, the photos may suffer sharp aberrations on the edges (parasitic blue lines and blur). Thankfully, these chromatic aberrations can be easily corrected using an image processing software. Compared to a GoPro, the CG03 camera offers sharper rendering without fisheye distortion thanks to its innovative distortion-free lens.
This is good news for photography enthusiasts and amateur videographers who want to take images with flat horizons. Nevertheless, professionals in photography and video will not be completely well served by this model given the lack of key settings (ISO, contrast, brightness, white balance).
The Q500 is easy to fly thanks to its smart, automatic flight modes. The beginner’s mode makes it possible to secure flights by creating a virtual barrier that prevents the drone either from getting too close to the pilot, thus avoiding accidents or to move away beyond 298 feet.
The Follow Me mode allows the drone to follow the pilot using the GPS on the device and radio control. The radio control has been redesigned with a wider LCD screen. On the other hand, the Watch Me mode makes it possible to point the camera automatically in the direction of the radio control and thus take selfies.
Once the Return Home mode is activated, the drone returns and lands automatically a few inches from the pilot. With three flight modes to choose from, this Yuneec Q500 drone can be maneuvered by amateur and expert pilots.
Yuneec Q500 drone review: Key features
Some of the key features that buyers can expect from the Yuneec Q500 drone include:
– A total range of 2.625 feet
– Maximum speed of 22 mph (35 km / h)
– Maximum flight time of 25 minutes per battery charge.
– Follow Me mode (default) for simple hands-free controls
– Watch Me Mode to take dynamic video footage of the pilot
– Rechargeable 5400 mAh lithium polymer battery
– SteadyGrip for stable ground level shots
– 4K CGO3 camera (with anti-distortion lens)
– Records videos in 4K at 30fps and in Full HD 1080p at up to 120fps
– Shoots 12 megapixels
– Smart ST10 remote control with 5.5-inch touchscreen
– LCD screen with sun visor to eliminate glare on sunny days.
This product incorporates many practical accessories that enhance the overall experience. One of these accessories is the SteadyGrip remote. With this device, you can carry the gimbal and camera at ground level and capture dynamic images. If you have to record a video inside, for example, it would not be practical to fly the large drone in your living room.
With the SteadyGrip handle, you simply have to move around to capture the same great images. Other accessories include a complete remote control with LCD display (and touch controls). The unit is recharged with a wall plug adapter and there is no additional battery required. It is large but not so heavy or cumbersome and includes buttons, knobs, handles, and standard controls, including separate buttons for taking photos and recording videos.
Pros and cons of the Yuneec Q500 drone
– Ergonomic design
– Easy steering
– 4K camera (slow motion available at 1080p)
– Automatic modes
– Availability and ease of installation of spare parts
– Real-time video reception with LCD
– Stability of the image during flight.
– Not ideal for travel due to its size
– Chromatic aberrations in the photos
The Yuneec Q500 drone compares favorably with other units available on the market. The Syma X5SW is one of the best in the low-cost category. Currently, the Syma X5SW drone is the best-selling among the economic drones thanks to its enviable quality to price ratio. The Walkera Runner 250 drone, on the other hand, presents a series of merits. In particular, it is the most popular among units equipped with a GoPro.
The Yuneec Q500 drone earns a 5-star rating for its impressive features and performance.
Many customers are thrilled with the timer on the LCD screen that allows users to time the video footage. In addition, there is a simple lever that can alternate between the three flight modes, some adjustment buttons and a button dedicated to the ignition and extinction of the engines.